Log in

Previous Entry | Next Entry

The Big Day

Disclaimer, again.  This post was composed on my iPad and sometime the autocorrect makes weird choices on my behalf with regards to spelling, content, grammar and syntax. Anything wonky, totally not my fault. 

I woke up far too early this morning but felt rested and ready to start the day, so I did a little writing and had an early breakfast here in the hotel. Hotel breakfasts are never very good, but the hummingbird has to eat and I loaded up on pretty much everything available.  They didn't have any Danishes or nutella, but the front desk more than made up for this grevious insult by giving us several bottles of lotion. Did you know the High Desert has very, very, very dry air?  Did you also know that every time you step outside here, the moisture in your body evaporates in seconds, leaving you looking like a corn husk doll?  It's true. 

Our plans for the day were very uncertain because we weren't sure if we were needed to help set up for the wedding, or if our number one most valuable contribution would be to merely stay the heck out of the way.   We couldn't reach anyone in the wedding group so we decided to do a little sight seeing in Old Town Albuquerque. I love the freeways here (kind of a weird thing to say, but just go with it) because the lanes are wide, the interchanges are these elegant, graceful curves and all of the overpasses are made with pink cement and turquoise accents. It's a lot prettier than I'm making it sound. We found Old Town easily and spent a rather nice morning wandering the shops and admiring the adobe buildings. This is a beautiful city with lots of colors and rich culture. I wish I had more time to explore.

When we finally got ahold of my nephew, he said he was getting dressed soon and we should come to his hotel. We got all dressed up and headed over there, ready to help him with his tuxedo and tie and whatnot, but he was still wearing his clothes from the night before and the room looked like it had been flipped over, redecorated with a leaf blower put back together by a blind person.  Apparently the previous night had been epic and I'm glad I was outside of the blast radius.  I'm not exaggerating when I say that there were room service trays everywhere, with stacks of pancakes with one bite out of them, hash browns covered in tabasco sauce, most of a donut and random bits of food products that had clearly been intended as a hangover remedy.  There were piles of clothes everywhere and an intricate arrangement of furniture that had apparently been a sleeping pallet for one of his friends.  It was alarming, but to be honest I would have been surprised to find anything else.

We finally got Todd hosed off and dressed, which was like trying to put a really strong infant into an outfit for family picture day, and he proceeded to pace the floor with nervous energy.  At least he looked great in his tux, as did my other nephew who was the best man.

The wedding venue was all decked out when we arrived and there were some Very Tense Moments when the bride entered the building because she didn't want my nephew to see her before the ceremony. We were hustled off to the men's locker room (this was at a country club) to wait while she was whisked away to some mysterious part of the building, and we were threatened by at least four different people that if we let Todd see Vanessa we would be put to death.  I may be exaggerating. 

The ceremony started right on time and it was really wonderful. Todd got emotional when Vanessa came down the aisle and I nearly lost it myself more than once.  My uncle pride was stretched to tolerance limits, I kid you not.

The rest of the evening passed in a blur, as they always do, with the first dance, the dinner (amazing food), the cake cutting (red velvet!), the speeches and the general merriment.  I'm not ashamed to admit that I danced the Macarena and I KILLED it, as I always do.  

Its the end of the trip now and we're headed home first thing in the morning.  I'm so glad I made the trip, but then I wouldn't have missed it for anything. I'm happy for Todd and I can already tell Vanessa is going to fit right in with our family.  She's a good egg, that one. 

As you can see, my paragraphs are getting shorter and shorter as I start winding down from such a busy 24 hours.  I'm wiped out and need to hit the sack.  I also need to reapply another layer of moisturizer. Good night. 


( 6 comments — Leave a comment )
Nov. 13th, 2011 08:36 am (UTC)
Yay! Sounds like a fabulous wedding and a great time overall. Your descriptions are as ever hilarious and charming by turns, and you do Unclehood proud :-)

Happy trails!
Nov. 13th, 2011 11:28 pm (UTC)
I have arrived home safely and while the trails (i.e. the flight home) wasn't all happy, the rest of the weekend sure was!
Nov. 14th, 2011 02:58 pm (UTC)
Hurray for a wonderful time! You really should write for a living, Matt!
Nov. 15th, 2011 03:00 am (UTC)
You are too kind! I'd love to write for a living, but I fear I'd starve first. I think I'll keep my day job...for now.
Nov. 14th, 2011 05:29 pm (UTC)
So glad to see you writing again, and thrilled for a great time for your family.
Nov. 15th, 2011 03:01 am (UTC)
It really felt good to hammer out some words. It's been far too long since I've done that.
( 6 comments — Leave a comment )

Latest Month

April 2015


Free blog counters

Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Tiffany Chow